Monday, August 16, 2010

the chair

It really was a comfortable chair. Although worn and twisted it served as a perch for more than one eventful sporting event that year. During the year 1993 and the Montreal Canadiens had pulled off the underdog performance of a lifetime. Recording consecutive overtime wins in the playoffs they stunned the hockey world.

From my place I had preached my disbelieve and even expressed concern the league could not bring more to the table. After all it was the Habs overachievers boasting a cocky minder whom by this point had already done enough to earn respect yet his demeanor bothered me. Stirring my sense of tradition and expectations of humility,not this brazen arrogance that was Patrick Roy. Yet as often is the case I was proven the arrogant one. Team chemistry cannot be measured, especially by the bias fan.

 

The Canadiens win the Stanley Cup!


Well I'm sitting on my throne. Baseball is the subject matter tonight and my son Josh is keeping me real.The Jays are playing in the post season and playing well. Its game six and the home team is buzzing. Although the Philadelphia Phillies had finally shut down Toronto in game five halting a combined offensive onslaught the game tonight was back to hitting.

The Phillies battled back with five runs in the seventh inning leaving the game a 6 to 5 lead for them.

It came to pass that Joe Carter was at bat, bottom of the ninth. I was at my station and the boy at my last nerve. You see we have this relationship that mirrors personalities yet tolerates not agreement. Often sport will transcend that trend allowing room for interpretation and compromise.

But not this night.

I say Carter is a bum, hasn't done a thing this series. Its the pinnacle of his sport and he poses whiffing at balls all night ?

Josh says he's invaluable for that one play,that single effort. Worth every penny. How can it be ? , I come back. So much invested for one success to make it right,this ineptitude. How does it come to pass that such a pylon should be left to ?...then it happened...the slider from Williams may well have been sub par,its velocity stemmed, none the less with the count 2 and 2 Carter reached out and sent that ball away!

 


A three run homer that won the Blue Jays a World Series Championship!



My chair was comfortable. Although a little small its foot rest swung way up allowing the feet to hang above my heart. My son the athlete, his skill on the basketball court is legendary among all who know him or me. His temperament is renowned and he is loved and respected by all who know him. The proud father of his own son he dotes on him and his step children bearing his responsibility as a champion carries his team, with pride and honor.

By now you might realize my writing incoherent and stuttered. I must confess that meandering point is beyond my grasp. You see he is there in my memory and I am here in my reality. A father left to reminisce his son. A Grandfather without opportunity.

Its just that I miss him so.

My lap aches where once he sat.

On that comfortable chair.




This is indeed a topical repost tonight ( July of 2008 ) . You see my daughters are leaving after a three week stay . They are taking with them two grandchildren one not yet born .

Once again a victim of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment