Thursday, August 19, 2010

me and this guy at the pub...

Hey guys. What a great day for hockey ! Actually anybody who knows me knows any day is a good day for hockey at the breadmans bakeshop.

Post work, I could not help but visit my favorite pub. The Clubhouse never fails to offer a variety of personalities. Some of whom there for drink others bent on conversation. Today I chose the conversation managing to avoid a few good buddies that are way to liberal in their definition of a good time. Anyway, I don't know how it happened but we got to talkin' hockey, imagine that. Buddy is what most would call an old guy from Southern Ontario having quite an interesting go at life striking me as retired and comfortable with it.

He was telling stories of working for 'Skil Saws' for thirty years as a upper level promotions guy. He spoke of using celebrities to market product. Hockey icons like Davey Keon and the Rocket Richard were among his stable. This led to reminiscing the likes of Eddy Shack being a salesman his entire life. Including selling his hockey prowess or lack thereof to coach Punch Imlach. He also had meetings with Gordie Howe and his boys Mark and Marty when they were playing together. It seems even these icons of the game were just that for a little extra on the side.

This all brings me to my thought for the day. Hockey in the day was full of everyday people. Folks you and I could approach compliment and then talk, I don't know, Skill Saws. Let me continue my thought before I lose it. Well, do you think Sid needs to sell saws or Ovie sell coffee? The even bigger question must be asked. Is there anybody today capable of selling the game of hockey? I mean in the day there were personalities, many guys like Shack who by just being who they were sold the game to other people who were not much different than themselves. Is their somebody now that can bring that kind of commonality to the table ?

I think we lack this root attachment to these potential hero's. I remember meeting the Shack at a benefit hockey tournament and you know he was an a$$hole just like me. Drank too much and hit on my old lady just like me. My point is who in today's game can reach that common ground ?

There may be guys out there that relate to somebody. It just seems to me for all the wrong reasons. The only guys the casual fan seem to hear about are the antagonistic bent on making a name for themselves by disrespecting other players. Not exactly the type of persona the local mall would want selling their wares. I mean to say if I wouldn't buy an appliance from today's player why would I buy into his passion. Where is the common ground ?

So, that was the whole thing me and this guy at the pub want to know. Is their a bond to the game that you can claim as yours? Is their a player that fills that bill ? The type of guy possessing both the skill to play and a personality I could stomach in the real world. If so, or not, please let me know because I came away from my favorite watering hole worried.

Concerned we might not ever see that kind of 'real' athlete again.

No comments:

Post a Comment