Thursday, August 19, 2010

the 'Riverton Rifle' Reggie Leach

As we move through our lives we learn from trail and error. When I was a boy I wanted to do all that my peers were doing. I had normal every person expectations at first you know a girlfriend,money and the freedom to handle both.Than as I pursued my wants I discovered booze. The first time I drank it was cheap wine someone had bought. It was horrible but the experience was fun...lots of laughs. Than came the beer. Homemade at first we would take turns lifting it from our Dads stash. Very often it was still brewing. Once Tom a grade nine pal had one go off in his school bag on the way past his mom. She just about had a heart attack and we had to find another source as we didn't see Tommy for weeks after.

Life moved on and soon I was working and legal. By than we had a favorite watering hole up the street and many hours were spent on weekends chasing the girls and always the buzz. We were weekend warriors and proud of it. When I look back now my family grown and my beautiful wife sitting there watching television I marvel at how fortunate I was to come away from all that with all that I have. If not for luck and hockey it could have been worse. Some were not so lucky. As a matter of fact I could probably go down the street and find one or two of them there now some thirty five years later still chasing the buzz. And unfortunately there's a cemetery across town where I can find a few of them any time. Some slipped away quietly sadly sinking into the bottle. Others not so quietly but non the less accidentally.

By now most of you sports fans have read about Rob Ramage getting a four year prison term for the vehicular manslaughter of his friend and comrade in hockey Keith Magnuson. Most recently he has been denied appeals. I don't know Rob Ramage and didn't know Mr. Magnuson yet I find myself distraught with both the incident and the aftermath. My heart aches when I consider the grief and the pain all involved are undoubtedly struggling with.

Being no stranger to the impact sudden lose can have I cannot condone the act nor condemn the punishment. That being said I truly feel for the man. I can not imagine myself capable of baring his burden and pray that by the grace of God he can survive the shadow of the valley he must now walk. He is left to forgive himself. No man should suffer so.

I don't think it would be very edifying to leave this post in such a state of despair so I have another story for you. One of hope and redemption. The ongoing tale of the 'Riverton Rifle' Reggie Leach. On the surface some may not think it a very nice story as again the bottle plays a key role. Here we have a man,an extraordinary hockey player,one of the best to play the game. In 1975-76 the year I graduated from high school he lead the league with sixty one goals and nineteen through the playoffs. Playing for the than mighty Philadelphia Flyer's Reggie was something to see,a shoe in for hockey's Hall of Fame. But it was not to be. For reasons that I really don't know but can only imagine given my own experience with booze and its infernal grip Reggie's career waned. His bout with the disease cost him his job. Not just any job mind you, hockey icon is not a position easily forfeited. One has to work at it.

All these many years later as I read the local paper at the very same bar mentioned my bye weekly glass of drought in hand reward for my mandatory walk I see a familiar yet drawn out face, that of Reggie Leach. Above the headline 'Leach takes high road to Island'. No not the Island we NHL fans are acquainted but Manitoulin Island a community west of my hometown of Sudbury Ontario, Canada in a region commonly known as Northern Ontario. Here, I read on, the Rifle will assume coaching duties for the Manitoulin Islanders of the Northern Ontario Junior A Hockey League. Not a prestigious title for one who by his own hand had reached the pinnacle of his chosen sport yet a place of trust and hope not only for the youngsters competing but Reggie himself. An apparently revived man free of his affliction. Well never free but claiming his right to be free the largest step toward redemption.

Now there is some inference in this article about a link to alcohol within the team structure and Reggie's part as a role model to help these young men work past its damaging effects but I won't go there. What I want to say here is that even in the darkest hour there can be light. No I'm not getting ready to pitch for some religion I'm trying to convey my believe that mans humanity while frail in the face of worldly temptations is capable of much more than weakness. In fact the opposite is true.

Allow me to rephrase my approach. Reggie Leach is living proof that it is possible to beat down the beast that is booze.

It is possible to forgive ones self.






A topical re post ...October 2008
















The right winger for the two-time defending Stanley Cup Champion Broadway Bullies became the second NHL player to score 60 goals when he tallied 61 in 1975-76. The total was his career high, and he tacked on another 19 in 16 playoff games that spring.










The Flyers's Stanley Cup winning LCB Line--Reggie Leach, Bobby Clarke and Bill Barber.

No comments:

Post a Comment