Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Grampa was teeing up

Gracie Anne Elizabeth unraveled herself to us @ 12:06 am the 22nd of June 2010. At 4:47 pm that same day Grampa was teeing up a little nine hole folded into memory. I cut my teeth golfing there yet more directly know many wonderful experiences and people there.

Stepping into a pair of acquaintances stretching on the first was immediately extended an invite. Peter, a young Gramp like me and John just in the last year from the Rock. Hey how are ya', Congrats Papa ! followed with the inevitable "is that a wood" ? Peter I know to always place and John , well , some just look like they can hit or play anything they want. They proceed to hit great drives as do I deliver that solid thud sending ball to fade away from dogleg . Over the second shot I felt the lacking seldom playing feeds but thinking Gracie washed away doubt knowing what mattered has happened. Why sweat a ball ? Reaching the apron I than suffered a missed shot putting me some 25 ft from the pin. Again feeling no stress dropped the putt. Peter says I ought save some of that for the Wednesday Twilight John won't believe it's my second time out this year. It is .

Moving to the next par three I felt sure as sure enough is as a birdie followed . Another long bomb . Than number three a par four , 20 footer. The fourth a fifteen . Despite bumbling down our long par five managed the green in four and apparently thats all that needed to happen , another 20 foot putt in the center of the cup !

Its about now I start to wonder how far I can go here. If I finish low on this day, this day that little Gracie joins our clan I could make some Grampa history. The sixth hole saw my first bogey. Still , man I could get the card framed or waxed into a scrapbook , wouldn't it be a nice keepsake ? She can grow knowing her Grampa blazed the athletic way using a families love as fuel to succeed !


Or, as it plays out the best one can hope is that as she does spend her years she can look at Grampas colossal 11 strokes over on the last three holes as a metaphor for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment