Thursday, August 19, 2010

I am reassured

We sit here at our stations, the dining room slash den is where mine is, consuming news and knowledge of the sporting world. As fond as I am of this pastime I sometimes wonder how productive it is. I guess at my age productivity is a relative term given the patterns of activity experienced to this point. Oh what a tangled web we weave second guessing our lives.

And what of fate? I do believe life is a cycle, we do brush up against our past every so often. Today I have a story about fate, karma, whatever you wish to call it life rewarding life is a beautiful thing.


I received a call from my little brother and he is vibrating with excitement, you see he was in BC several months ago on a work associated conference and while there met with local officials while learning and sharing about the logistics of moving people. Mike is a Supervising Transit Inspector with the City of Greater Sudbury, Ontario Canada.

So, I am learning as he speaks that overtures were made than and have come to realization only today. He will be going to Vancouver for the entire month of February to act in the capacity of an Supervising Dispatcher commissioned by the Olympic Committee to help regulate transit operations!

You might say thats great Ed but what does it have to do with our pursuit of the wonders of life, karma, fate? Well here is the awesome part and I might just choke up telling it. When my 'little' bro was younger(250lbs) he was all Canadian in the unlimited class wrestling. His ambition was to compete at the Olympics, a lofty goal coming from a working poor family with little to no resources other than our work ethic, so when he received an invite to qualify you can imagine his / our excitement!

As life will happen, during said qualification bouts didn't he suffer a broken collar bone ! The disappointment stung for years. Missing such a once in a lifetime opportunity seemed harsh, even by the standard laid out for us by birth rite. Being products of illegitimacy , secure in our adopted family mind you, we did have feelings at the time about destiny and our relevance to the world. This perceived set back challenged our conclusions.

Now fast forward and consider today's news! I am so happy for him, and I guess myself. That his commitment to excellence has once again opened a door for him makes me the proudest brother on the planet. That life has given back what it took, for as it turns out legitimate reasons, I am reassured.

Congratulations Mike! I love you!

Now I have to get a Kleenex.



I reissue this post even though it appeared only months ago. November 21st. You see I continue to be proud and the games are here! It is my intention to use this entry as a sounding board for what I see and hear.

Enjoy the games!




Mike and LizI am reassured

No comments:

Post a Comment